We love all things Matcha and this dairy free matcha latte recipe is an amazing alternative to your morning coffee. In comparison to coffee, which is highly acidic, matcha is much easier on the GI tract since it’s alkaline PH. Matcha has a ton of health benefits–it’s rich in antioxidants, chlorophyll, provides sustained energy and enhances moods and emotions. We opted to use almond milk, since we are all in favor of non-dairy alternatives to keep inflammation at a minimum.
Overall, you can get everything at Wholefoods or a similar health foods store:
- 1 Tsp Organic 100% Matcha Green Tea Powder (we LOVE Domatcha)
- 1/2-1 tsp Organic, local honey
- 4oz Organic Unsweetened Almond milk (Coconut or hemp milk will work too)
- 8oz Very Warm Water (180f, Not Boiling!!)
Although we used some unusual kitchen gadgets, you can easily substitute them. You will need the following tools to make the perfect matcha latte:
- Whisk. We use a traditional bamboo whisk which breaks up the matcha clumps the best and makes the smoothest paste (More about this later on). Although a metal whisk or fork will also work.
- Milk frother. You can use a handheld milk frother, or a stand alone milk frother like we used. Or can simply bring milk to a simmer in a sauce pan and whisk it up!
- Your favorite tea mug
- measuring spoons
- Tea kettle
(Stand Alone Milk Frother, perfect for foaming almond milk)
There are a couple things to keep in mind when working with matcha, although the preparation is fairly easy.
- Make a matcha paste! Combine 1 TBS warm water (180f) with 1 tsp of matcha.
- Whisk it together until smooth and thick.
- Add remaining 8oz very warm water and whisk some more until matcha is evenly mixed.
- Stir in 1/2-1 tsp local honey. This can be altered to your taste, although we love just a hint of sweet so you can really taste the strong flavors of the matcha.
- Froth 4oz unsweetened almond milk and pour into the tea mixture!
We hope you enjoy and please comment below if you have any questions or suggestions!